Tuesday, April 27, 2010

'American Idol''s Top Six Sing Songs from the Shania Twain Songbook

'Idol Gives Back' Raises Millions
The countdown to the "American Idol" finale continued Tuesday night when the Top Six performed music from the songbook of country artist Shania Twain, who also served as this week's mentor.

Lee DeWyze kicked off the night's performances with "You're Still the One." Randy Jackson commented, "This is one of my favorite songs of all time. I love this song. I was a little worried about you doing it. You started pitchy, but half-way through, you found a way to make it your own. You did a pretty good job." Ellen DeGeneres

felt that Lee did better than a pretty good job, saying, "You always make a song yours. It always sounds like your version rather than someone sang it before. I say all aboard the Shania Twain!" Kara DioGuardi told Lee, "The sound of your voice on every song makes it sound so relevant. Look how far you've come. That is a love song. I don't know if you related to the love portion, but you did smile a few times." Simon Cowell wrapped up the critiques saying, "I agree with everything everybody has said. That was the perfect choice out of Shania's songs."
Michael Lynche showed off his softer side on Shania's "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing." Randy complimented, "Here is what I love. You really found your zone. It can be a country song, or an R&B song, but you were really in the zone of who you are. I hope you keep that in the future. There is a big, wide-open space for you." Ellen admitted, "I was nervous for you, but it felt like Luther Vandross singing that song. I felt your emotion. I felt you getting into it. I thought it was beautiful." Kara pointed out, "One of Shania's greatest gifts is how connected she is when she sings. I always feel you go to that place. The melody is so beautiful. I was glad you didn't change it too much, but just enough to put your mark on it." Simon agreed with Ellen, saying, "I know what Ellen meant when using the comparison with Luther. It was spot-on. A good analogy. I thought it was a little wet. A little musical theater. It was a little girly."
Casey James tackled his inner country crooner with "Don't." Randy praised, "For me, this is one of the best Casey James performances ever. You really learned something here. This could be a great thing in your wheelhouse with what you already do with the guitar." Ellen concurred, adding, "You sang that as if it is where you belong. I think it was your best performance to date." Kara pointed out, "Artists don't hide the good, the bad or the ugly. That is what you did in that performance. That is what you need to keep doing to be at the front of this competition." Simon commented, "Last week was a much-needed wake-up call for you. I actually agree with Randy that this is your best performance so far. I felt you were singing the song. It felt like your song."
Crystal Bowersox tackled the Shania track, "No One Needs to Know." Randy remarked, "It wasn't my favorite performance, but I love you. I am glad you mixed it up and somebody did a country version." Ellen told her, "I say it every week. There is nothing you can't do. It wasn't my favorite performance, but you are brilliant." Kara said, "It is impossible for you not to be good, because you are coming from a place of truth. That is why I always respond to you. Was it your best? No." Simon laid it on the line: "We don't like Crystal this week. I thought it was limp. It was something you expect when you are in a coffee shop and they hire a band to sing to you when you don't want them to. I felt the song was forgettable compared to some of the other songs. This was the only week, I haven't liked you."
Aaron Kelly chose the ballad "You've Got a Way." Randy complimented, "Dude, this is definitely your wheelhouse. You are our country artist on the show this year. I think you did a real good job." Ellen pointed out, "This is going to be tough tomorrow night because everybody is doing well. I can't believe you are 16 and you sang that so well." Aaron corrected her saying, "I am 17." Ellen laughed, and continued, "The maturity you had to embrace those lyrics … good job." Kara completely concurred with Ellen, adding, "It is like you really felt those words. And you changed one line." Aaron admitted he did because he was singing the song to his mother, which got "Ahs." Simon said, "I am going to be honest with you, I know you are only 17. I think the last two weeks you have struggled. However, tonight you were like a different artist. This is the kind of record you should make if you are going to make records. It felt sincere and not like you were singing someone else's song. Well done."

No comments:

Post a Comment